In this eSplash:
- Pool snack bar to be used in short film – Wed 7/18
- Filtered water in snack bar
- Grill cleanliness and etiquette reminders
- Music at pool
- Cornhole Tournament moved to September – TBA
- Luau – coming August 4
- Future Events
Short Film to be shot at pool snack bar
Peter Samuels, a former VPCA junior guard, is now based in NY City as a filmmaker and has asked permission to make a short film primarily focused around the snack bar. The snack bar will be closed on shoot-day, which is scheduled for Wednesday, July 18 at 10 am. Rain date will be Thursday. We will have a back-up snack shop in the dance hall on whichever day the shoot occurs to sell drinks and other items that do not require a freezer.
Here is a message from Peter:
Hello members of Venetian Pools,
My name is Peter B Samuels. I’m a young filmmaker based in NYC, but I’m originally from Decatur. I grew up coming to Venetian Pools. I learned how to swim here, I went to summer camp here, and I even had my first job here as a Junior Guard.
I have always looked back at Venetian as one of my favorite places in the world, a landmark from my childhood, which is why I have written a short film based here. It’s a film about the summers I spent as a Junior Guard… the transition between being a child and a teenager.
I also wanted to let you know that if you’re at the pool on the day of the shoot, there is a chance you will be on camera. No guests are going to be featured in the film, and everyone will be small enough in frame that you won’t be easily recognizable. Notices will be posted around the pool which essentially state that by entering the pool, you consent to being on camera. We are using the pool as it is (guests included) as a backdrop and a setting — just pretend we’re not there!! I want the film to feel natural and real ~ if there’s a blurry person in the background staring at the camera, it’s going to be distracting, so please just act how you would on a normal day!
I thank everyone in advance for their cooperation and permission to shoot here :~) You have no idea how much I appreciate it!!!
Snack Bar now has filtered water
A new water filtration system was installed on June 25. The water in the snack shop is now filtered and fresher for member use. The ice will cycle through what is in the ice bin currently and then will be made with filtered water. Watch for water coolers to appear on the snack shop counter for members to use for fresh, cold water.
Please clean grills and help maintain furniture cleanliness
This is a quick reminder to the board and pool manager about the private cleaning staff hired by Venetian.
1. The membership should be cleaning up after themselves – tables, grills, and bathrooms (while members aren’t responsible for bathroom cleaning, this applies to general cleaning up after yourself on sink counters, showers, etc.).
2. The guards should be doing general cleaning of these same areas to make sure there is not a mess – food, lost and found items, grills, bathrooms, changing stalls, garbage, TP and paper towels, wiping down surfaces of bathrooms (counters, toilets, tables, grills).
3. The cleaning service was hired last summer because 1 and 2 weren’t being sufficiently handled. They are paid to make sure that an overall cleaning takes place in the bath houses (all areas) 3x each week and the grills 2x a month. They are not ultimately responsible for the abusive mess of some members, lack of general daily cleaning that occurs by members and guards.
There was a fire in one of the grills Thursday that had to be put out with an extinguisher. We ask that members pay particular attention to grease build-up and condition of the grills during and after use. We would like to avoid fires and other accidents that can occur due to general grill maintenance neglect.
Sound System/Music at Pool
Dear fellow members, as part of the board’s continuous efforts to make our shared pool experience more enjoyable, over the past winter we installed a full surround stereo system. This system will have a dual purpose, first and primary is the PA system which will allow us to make announcements (i.e., weather updates, food delivery, and various other news that needs to be shared) as well as improving swim meet announcing; second, to increase enjoyment and ambiance at the pool by playing background music. We have already received both positive and negative feedback on the music and realize that while some folks love it, others find it irritating. In that light, we have proposed rules around the system and usage below and we hope everyone will respect these and enjoy the pool. As always, if you have any questions or concerns please direct them to the board, we welcome all feedback and suggestions, and this will be included in the end of year survey for future improvements.
Thank you – VPCA Board
- Music will not be played before 7pm on weekdays and is available all weekend.
- There will be predetermined and approved Pandora stations that will be set by the board and will be family friendly.
- Volume is not allowed to be adjusted up beyond the predetermined level, but can be turned down for listening to weather. The volume will be set at level to allow for reasonable conversation and act as background.
- Board will choose a default station that will begin the day.
- The guards will have no control over the music or volume unless there is a weather warning.
- During swim team practice the swim team coaches may choose whatever they wish and have louder volume.
Cornhole Tournament Re-schedule
The first annual VPCA cornhole tournament was originally set for Saturday, August 18th, but will be re-scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday in September. We will announce the date as soon as it is decided.
Luau – August 4th
The annual luau is on Saturday, August 4th. We typically kick things off around 5:30 pm with live music and/or a DJ and have food plates available. Details of this year’s Luau feast and activities will follow.
Future Events & Important Dates:
Saturday, August 4: Luau, 5:30 pm
Friday, August 10: Bring your floats to the pool, 7 pm
Monday, August 13: VPCA Board meeting, Pool Deck, 7 pm